It’s finally here!
“How amazing to be celebrating another Duran Duran Appreciation Day!” writes Duran Duran bassist John Taylor today, marking this year’s Duran Duran Appreciation Day, a day that: 1.) Definitely actually exists… Google it, and 2.) Has been on this author’s calendar since… well, last year’s Duran Duran Appreciation Day. “Last night, on stage in Saratoga,” he continues, “I was looking out into the crowd thinking how lucky we are, to have the fans we have. Your extraordinary enthusiasm has given us so much energy this year, brought us back from the brink, almost, last summer, to a far, far better place than we have been in for years.”
Here’s what eternally youthful (and yours truly’s not-so-secret Duran Duran boyfriend) keyboardist Nick Rhodes had to say about this year’s festivities
As always, the band has shown their appreciation for our appreciation by releasing a special gift to the fans. This year’s release includes a special new Gosteffects remix of All You Need Is Now favorite “The Man Who Stole A Leopard” and an exclusive behind the scenes video shot just before the band’s Olympic Opening Ceremony gig in London’s Hyde Park .
I’ll be spending an inordinate amount of both of those soon enough, but first, I wanted, as always, to show off a little bit more of my also-not-so-secret love of Duran Duran by sharing 10 more reasons why they are my favorite pop band of all time. In case you’re new around these parts, here’s last year’s DDAD list.
Okay, here we go. 10 things I love about Duran Duran:
1. Simon Le Bon has read This Week In Simon Le Bon Tweets.
2. Nick Rhodes in a bellboy uniform.
3. Medazzaland. Enough said.
4. Those moments when you re-listen to “Tiger Tiger” and “The Seventh Stranger” and think, “Wait, why isn’t Seven And The Ragged Tiger the greatest album ever recorded, again? What am I missing?”
5. Watching drunken idiots totally mess up the “Hey now! Woo! Look at that!” part of “Rio” at karaoke.
6. Following Simon’s dog Cecil on Twitter. (@Cecil_LeBon)
7. Watching my Diamond In The Mind Blu-Ray after a long, stressful day of non-Duran Duran related work.
8. Every fashion choice in the alternate “Planet Earth” music video.
9. Shouting “Pack it up!” at the appropriate moment during “I Don’t Want Your Love” while wondering if maybe it’s actually “Back it up!” or “Pick it up!”
10. There’s a Duran Duran Appreciation Day! A day where I can blast “Notorious” out of my car stereo with the windows down at ever intersection and wear a white Miami Vice jacket to work and, best of all, interact and share DD love with all my amazing online Duran Duran friends. I know, insert “d’awww” here.
How are you guys planning to celebrate Duran Duran Appreciation Day ’12? And what are your favorite things about the band?